The Global Water Initiative (GWI) was an action-research and advocacy programme that ran from 2008-17. The project is now closed. This site is no longer being updated, but allows access to GWI outputs until 1 October 2020 when it will also close. After that date, information about the project and core GWI technical publications will continue to be available from the IIED website and Publications Library.

  • English
  • Français

Community Action Plans for IWRM in the Sirba sub-basin, Burkina Faso

Document language: 
French

Community Action Plans (CAPs) are important for integrated water resource management, particularly as responsibility for governance shifts from the state towards the commune. This document outlines the range of policies, strategies and organisations that together form the basis of CAPs. GWI contributed 80% of the required funding for CAPs in Burkina Faso (the remaining 20% being provided by the local community), and ensured that all stakeholders were involved at all stages of development of the CAPs. They focused on 5 key themes: multiple usages of water, governance, infrastructure, conflict management, and sanitation.