Implementation of the ECOWAS recommendations on the economic aspects of major water infrastructure in West Africa
This March 2015 workshop was organised by the ECOWAS Coordination Unit for Water Resources (CCRE) in partnership with the IUCN and IIED consortium, with funding from UKAid and the Howard G. Buffett Foundation through the GWI in West Africa programme. This meeting brought together participants from 40 countries, the ECOWAS/CCRE IWRM focal points, representatives of the ministries of economy and finance, national focal points of the irrigation initiative in the Sahel, civil society, researchers, dam managers, basin organisations, regional and international organisations, and practitioners.
In April 2014, water sector representatives of the ECOWAS Member States validated the draft regional Directive for the development of water infrastructure in West Africa. The Directive is based on a set of guidelines developed through the work of a panel of independent experts and consultation workshops in the river basins and at regional level with States, basin organisations and civil society. These guidelines are composed of 6 axes, 25 recommendations and 77 actions, presented as principles.
The workshop served as a contribution to the operationalization of Axis 4 which requires planners and managers to implement processes that evaluate and optimize the profitability of large hydraulic structures. It also addressed Axis 5 of the guidelines, relating to the gathering and exchange of experiences in the ECOWAS zone in relation to water infrastructure projects.
For the workshop findings and recommendations please see the meeting report [available in French only] (which also contains the list of participants, agenda, and results of the working group discussions) and the final communiqué [in English].
You can find all the presentations from the workshop below [in French only], or directly on GWI West Africa's Slideshare page:
- Presentation of the regional dialogue process and guidelines - Innocent Ouédraogo - WRCC / ECOWAS
- Comparative study of current economic value and national financial balance sheet of the Niandouba dam (Senegal) - Ibrahima Hathie - IPAR
- Comparative study of current economic value and national financial balance sheet of the Bagré dam (Burkina Faso) - Edmond Kaboré - consultant
- Economic evaluation of Diama: social and environmental benefits - Ousmane Thiam - consultant
- Ex post evaluations of Manantali-Diama dams in the Senegal basin - Mountaga Diallo and Alpha Oumar Balde - OMVS
- Economic outcomes of rice production on large irrigation projects in the Sahel - Yoro Sidibé - IWMI
- Evaluations économiques des barrages: Réflexions sur les choix de développement - Jérôme Koundouno - IUCN/GWI West Africa